Monday, September 19, 2011

I need advice about a 1999 Ford Contour Battery and Brake light coming on and off, and the system overcharging?

I have a 1999 Ford Contour LX, 2.0L 4 cylinder, automatic, with 131k miles. About a month ago, I was driving down the road and noticed both my battery and brake light on. (The car does have ABS) When it was idling neither of the lights were on, but when I press the accelerator the two warning lights would come on. BUT, if I turned the fan/heater on high speed, the battery light would go off (but the brake light would stay on)



When the car isn't running it kills the battery dead. After getting it jumped off, she starts right up. The power windows and windshield wipers are moving MUCH FASTER than normal. The headlights don't work anymore. I strongly suspect the vehicle is overcharging. The last time I started the car, I saw smoke coming from the radiator area. It smelled like wires burning.



Both the battery and alternator are about 1 year old. I got the alternator put on by a shade-tree mechanic but the car has ran well until now. The engine and transmission are both smooth, just something isn't right with the electrical system.



At this point, I'm afraid to drive the car. I don't have much money to invest in getting it fixed, but it's too good of a car to just sit there. I got the battery tested while it was running and was told that the alternator is charging just fine. (I forgot the voltage) But when the vehicle is idleing and I take the red battery cable off, the car starts to spudder but keeps running.



The check engine light is on and the code for that means the system is running too lean. I never changed the O2 sensor. (Autozone guy checked it for me)



Someone told me they thought it was a voltage regulator but I don't know.



Has anyone experienced this problem? How much could it cost for me to get it fixed? The Ford dealer told me that a diagnostic will be $120 for an hour's labor.I need advice about a 1999 Ford Contour Battery and Brake light coming on and off, and the system overcharging?Sounds like loose or dirty battery cable connections.I need advice about a 1999 Ford Contour Battery and Brake light coming on and off, and the system overcharging?check to see if it is charging should read 14amps then also check the grounds. pull the negative cable off and put a test light between the cable and the battery if it lights up you have a draw which kills the battery

No comments:

Post a Comment