Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I down shift in a manual transmission car?

first and foremost, 95% of the time I just put it in neutral and coast to a stop with the brakes.



I don't engine brake, even though SOME ppl insist on doing this.



The thing is, how DO I engine brake, if I ever need to do it? the closest thing I've ever done that would be comparable to downshifting is while I coast in neutral, the light changes before I come to a stop and I shift to a lower gear to accelerate again (say 2 or 3)



but when I see a red light way ahead of me, do I just press the clutch in, and down shift through ALL the gears, matching my gear with the current speed of the car? so I gotta depress the clutch, shift sequentially to the next lower gear, THEN match the clutch and flywheel together 3-5 times? sounds like like alotta unnecessary extra steps to get to the same end to me....How do I down shift in a manual transmission car?you dont need to do all this. just put it in neutral and coast. what your doing is engine braking and its not good for your transmission. unless you have a diesel with a jake brake, dont do it.How do I down shift in a manual transmission car?http://www.ehow.com/how_2076078_avoid-do this explans what you ask.. if confused ask again but i hope this link does the trick ok gilermo.How do I down shift in a manual transmission car?That's downshifting.........you don't have to, I coast to the light but in traffic it's easier to downshift.
  • kids myspace
  • deleted myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment