Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Can I replace the brake light bulb on my audi a3 or do I need to take it to audi to do?

A brake light has gone on my audi a3 and I thought yep I'll just replace it but it's all panneled in. I have changed bulbs on Vw's with not hassle, just unclip the small panel and replace it but on the audi a3 it's all boxed in. How do I replace them?Can I replace the brake light bulb on my audi a3 or do I need to take it to audi to do?To change the bulb you will need to remove the rear light cluster. Inside the boot you will see a round coloured (same as interior trim) Remove this and you will see a bolt that needs to be removed and the whole light fitting will be free to remove and then you can access the rear of the light like you could on the other cars. Be careful not to let the light drop when you undo the bolt and also not to Over tighten it when re fitting.Can I replace the brake light bulb on my audi a3 or do I need to take it to audi to do?Its not to hard to do! Inside the boot behind the light cluster there is a blank plug that you need to pop out about the size of a 50p. In there you'll see a long plastic hex nut with a slot in it. It easier to use the screw driver in your spare wheel kit (probably designed for the job!). Unscrew this nut BE CAREFUL not to drop it in inside! You then need to hold the rear cluster by the inside edge (boot open) and pull it out a bit to clear the thread you have just removed the plastic nut from. Move the cluster outwards and sidewards which will pop the side of the light out of the side part of the bodywork. Its only held in by 2 plug style things in rubber gromets. The rest is simple, the bulbs are held on a circuit board like any other car in the back of the cluster. I would use phillips bulbs though, I put some cheap petrol station ones in and it kept blowing them! Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment