Monday, September 19, 2011

Trailer wiring question, how to separate brake from signal lights on a trailer?

I am building a new trailer, and I ran into a snag in the electrical system, I installed four sets of lights: three amber sets for turn signals(one set on rear of trailer,and a set on either side of the fenders), and a red set for brake lights, but when I went to wire them up, I realized the tow vehicle has the signals and brake on the same circuit on the same lights, so of course when I hooked them up i got signals on both and brakes on both.



here is a little bit of information on my system:

Vehicle is a 2001 Chrysler Neon 2.0l

the rear of the vehicle has the two red brake/signal lights and two clear reverse lights



the trailer is a 5x9 tilting utility trailer

the rear of the trailer has 2 red brake lights (one on each side), 2 amber turn signals (one on each side), a red marker bar in the middle, and some amber turn signals on the front and rear of each fender

with multiple side marker lights along each side of the frame and reach. with strips of reflective tape in between.



The connection is a 7pin round plug and receptacle, with a separate 4 pin round for auxiliary circuits for tilt control (two wires), deck lights switch and spare. Winch control is on reach.



I know if the tow vehicle has separate brake and signal lights, you can get a converter to change it to operate on the same light, but how can I do the opposite and separate them?



I am not looking for questions like why I need all of this, the trailer is for work and it is specified that I must have separate brake and signal lights, so no I cant just change them to all be brake and signal.



If more information is needed let me know and I shall try my best to post it as well.



Thank you for the time you took to read and ponder my question, I eagerly await an answer to my problem.Trailer wiring question, how to separate brake from signal lights on a trailer?If you are absolutely sure that you must have separate brake and turn signals then I can tell you how to do that. The catch is that every trailer I have owned does not have that - the rear red lights have two filiments: one for running light and the other one is for shared brake and turn signals.



If you still feel like you have to have separate brake lights you will have to run a wire the length of your vehicle and add a relay to the front of the car at the car's brake pedal switch. At the switch you will install a 20amp relay that connects to 12volts+ when the pedal is depressed. Don't hook the wire directly to the switch but use the relay to handle the power switching to the brake light circuit on the trailer. The relay will make a slight click each time you hit the brakes so if that will be annoying to you mount the relay under the hood. Use a 12volt+ source that is on even when the key is in the off position. Like your car brake lights, you need the trailer brake lights to work even if the car ignition is off. Add a 10-15 amp fuse at this location. That 12volts+ should be connected to an open connector on the trailer plug. Remember that the trailer plug will then only work with this trailer because you have done something that is totally non-standard.Trailer wiring question, how to separate brake from signal lights on a trailer?Contact your Chrysler dealer. It's as simple as snipping a wire to separate these circuits on the tow vehicle.Trailer wiring question, how to separate brake from signal lights on a trailer?It won't work without going back to the source of the brake and turn signals adding isolation relays and basically redesigning the wiring of the vehicle. The car isn't worth what it would cost to do this.Trailer wiring question, how to separate brake from signal lights on a trailer?I don't fully understand your question about the trailer lights, brake and indicators being on the same circuit.They must be wired separately,they cant be on the same circuit.Your problem as you describe it could be an earth fault and you may need to fit a relay to overcome the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment