Thursday, September 22, 2011

Work Experience breaking the law?

Hello, well today i had my work experience but i don't think im gonna go back tomorrow, i think they have broken the law multiple times!



I am an electricians assistant for a week and im 15.



Well i got there they let me in say hi and then nothing else for 10 Min's then just ell me im going with this guy(NO HEALTH AND SAFETY)



Then i went on a site then some guy showed me how to change light sockets and switches i did a few(upstairs power turned off) Then i had to stand on a ladder by the stairs which i could of fell off of. I had to cut round the lights with a Stanley knife(:O).



I then traveled with another guy to anoter place and hel him install some pwer thing where i had to carry very heavy equipment and then use the saw to cut some wood(i cut my slef a couple of times but nothing big). Arround oneish i had a 10 min brake, for another few hours i just helped bits and pieces(soo boring)



My time was ment to be from 8-4 and they were emnt to drop me off as wee are constantly moving about then i got home just before 6(not 4).



Last of all i was ment to be picked from tuesday-friday as my mum is working and i would have truble gettign there, but when i phoned up they said i had to make my way there in the morining?



Does this very wrong to anyone?

I know its a job and im understanding but for a 15 year old on work expeiriance?Work Experience breaking the law?Yes, they should have been more onto the information regarding health and safety. They had no business asking a 15 year old to work for them, without having proper coverage for you. Most of the ages for working in most area are 16. So unfortunately, I don't know if you would be even covered under the WCB act.



Also, with someone who is just getting work experience, it is not appropriate to put them into situations that are very dangerous, and that injury could happen. They should have gotten you to do duties like getting materials from the truck, or setting up the tools, or whatever like that, but getting you to do things that there was a high risk of injuring yourself, is not ethical nor appropriate.



The other two things that were NOT against the law, and can sometimes be expected when you are in a work situation.



1) Overtime -- this is not against the law. If it takes longer to do the job, that is not their problem. It is your responsibility to make sure that you're able to fill your time in appropriately.



2) Transportation -- is NOT the responsibility of the company to make sure that your transportation is figured out. You're responsible for getting there. There are a lot of ways that you would be able to get into work: either by bus, foot, bicycle, or by asking a friend for a ride. I know that this is just work experience, but they are trying to make the situation as real as possible.



When you get a regular job, they won't pick you up, and they won't care about how you get to work, as long as you get to work on time.Work Experience breaking the law?Yeh that is very wrong. I would tell your work experience person at your school! They are laws and stuff that the employers have to follow. I was on work experience today to and my employer went through some of the saftey stuff but my isn't as practical as yours by the sounds! Good LuckWork Experience breaking the law?I'm not sure what 'law' you think was broken? No health and safety orientation was foolish on their part, but as long as they were suitably supervising you, you should have been perfectly safe. Doing electrical work? That's okay too, as long as a licensed electrician was overseeing the work.



Telling you you had to get to work yourself? Well, that is between you and the work experience coordinator at your school.



This doesn't sound like a well run or professional outfit, but I doubt they broke any laws overtly. I'd speak with your coordinator and see what they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment