Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I have a 89 buick regal custom and brake lights dont work...?

The blinkers work on both sides but i have no hazards or brake lights! I changed the brake light switch and still nothing. Could it be the turn signal switch and how would i be able to test it before i take it apart. Bulbs are good! The same bulb is used for brake and parking lights(which work). please help!!!!I have a 89 buick regal custom and brake lights dont work...?In GM sedans the turn signal switch sometimes controls the brake lights. I replaced one in a 98 Monte Carlo with a similar problem. I can only speak of this one experience but... you will need a wiring diagram to find the correct wires to test, available in a HAYNES repair manual or from a dealer. The switch I replaced went from the top of the steering column down through the center and connected under the dash. Had to disassemble most of the column to get it out. Would need to clearify with a diagram but I think the turn signal switch wiring may supply power to or get a signal from the brake light switch. I recall similar issues with all lights in the rear. It didn't really make any sense. Good Luck!I have a 89 buick regal custom and brake lights dont work...?I do not see that you checked the fuses, Could be as simple as that!I have a 89 buick regal custom and brake lights dont work...?If it's not the fuse as mentioned above, it may be the relay behind the dash kind of dangling above the fuse box.

(round silver thing)



Or, the flasher in the fuse box?I have a 89 buick regal custom and brake lights dont work...?I will have to say you are wrong about the same bulb for parking light and brake. Yes it is a single bulb, but it has 2 elements inside, 1 for lights and one for brake(being the brighter light). I would check that first, one of the elements might be broken. Than I would check the fuse next. Make sure when you changed the brake light switch that you have it installed correctly. If you have a test light, find the wire in the rear for the brake lights. Test to see if you have power going to the light by having a friend step on the brakes while you touch the socket with the test light. If you do than it would be a bulb, if you don't you will have to work your way back to the switch. Good Luck.I have a 89 buick regal custom and brake lights dont work...?If that's a %26quot;W%26quot; body, they had problems with the brake light switches and turn signal switches.

No comments:

Post a Comment