Monday, October 24, 2011

Can I downshift after I've come to a complete stop?

I just bought a 2009 Kawasaki ninja 250r and I had a question about coming to stops at lights or general intersections:



Say I'm going about 50 and I see the light ahead of me turn red; if I'm in, say, 4th or 5th gear, exactly how am I supposed to downshift through all of those gears to first by the time I stop?



Basically, do I really have to pull in the clutch, down shift to third, let out the clutch, give it some gas, and repeat all the way to first gear? I guess it just seems like I wouldn't have enough time between where I am to where I need to stop to shift that fast between the gears.



My main question is: Could I just pull in the clutch, down shift one gear or so, let out the clutch for some engine braking, then just pull in the clutch and use my brakes to come to a complete stop? Then, while stopped, just downshift all the way to first (basically skipping over two or three gears), and then let out the clutch when the light changes? More importantly, could this damage the bike in any way?



Does that make sense?Can I downshift after I've come to a complete stop?Of course you can. You can just use your brakes to stop, then pull in the clutch and downshift back to first. Or you can pull in the clutch and downshift to neutral while you're coming to a stop. Or you can use the lower gears to help slow you down.



Some bikes, it's not easy to shift when the bike isn't moving. So you get in the habit of shifting down on your way to a stop. But the important thing is to stop when you need to without worrying about it. Sometimes stops aren't planned, like if someone pulls out of a driveway ahead of you (things like this happen all the time because bikes aren't as visible as cars).



If you're sitting at a stop and you're still in a high gear, and you're having trouble shifting down, I find it helps to let the clutch out just a tiny bit, not enough to move but to feel it slip just a bit, and that helps it shift down through the gears.Can I downshift after I've come to a complete stop?First, it is a sequential transmission, you don't skip gears. Come to a stop in 5th and you have to go through 4th, 3rd and 2nd before getting into first -- easier when rolling.



Second, you do not start your stopping when you see a light turn red. There's this amber light thing that comes on prior to the red. As you approach a light, should pick a point at which if you pass it with the light still green you will continue through the light on the amber. You should be looking a quarter mile to a couple of miles ahead and be adjusting your speed so as to not have to stop at red lights. If you do have to stop you should have plenty of time to slow through the gears.



And no, you do not need to use the clutch. Close the throttle and slow down with engine braking, put a bit of pressure on the shift lever and give the throttle a little blip and you'll slip down a gear without the clutch. Repeat as needed right down into first. Might want to lightly apply the brake to tell anyone behind you that you are stopping.Can I downshift after I've come to a complete stop?well i havent made my way to crotchrockets since im only 14 but when i ride my dirtbike from a path to a path down a road to slow down all i do is pull the clutch in a drop to first then start to slow down but my freind dont slow down when he shifts his 400 ex so he grinds that crap outta the gears
  • chicken urinate
  • vb
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment